The History of Cayuga County 1789-1879 page 346
TOWN OF AURELIUS

addition of twenty-one to their number, and the restoration of harmony in the Church. He closed his labors with them in 1836, in which year he was succeeded by Jno. H. Dudley, who remained till 1840. During the second year of his pastorate, he was assisted in a protracted meeting by Elder Jacob Knapp, which was blessed by the addition of sixty-seven by baptism.

D. McFarland succeeded E. Dudley in the pastorate in 1840, and remained with them till 1843, in which year I. Bennett became the pastor. During Elder Bennett's pastorate a revival was experienced which resulted in the additon of sixty by baptism. He was succeeded in 1845 by E. Marshall, who served them two years. S. Adsit Jr., their next pastor, entered upon his duties August 1st, 1847, and continued them till 1854, on the first of April of which year A. Wilkins assumed the pastoral care, which he resigned March 28th, 1863.

N. R. Everts entered upon the duties of pastor with this Church June 1st, 1863. He resigned November 24th, 1867, and united with the Church at Seneca Falls. Their next pastor was Wm. Dunbar, who commenced his labors with them December 1st, 1867, and closed them April 3d, 1870. He was succeeded by Stephen V. Marsh, from the Church at Waterloo, who entered upon the pastorate July 3d, 1870, and resigned April 1st, 1873. P. D Root commenced his ministrations with this Church June 29th, 1873, and was granted a letter of dismission September 2d, 1876. He was succeeded by Jno. Henry Mason, who begun his labors in October, 1876, and was accepted to the pastorate April 29th, 1877. He is the present pastor. Their present church edifice, which is a fine brick structure, was commenced May 1st, 1874; finished January 12th, 1875; and dedicated January 14th, 1875. Its cost was about $13,000. The present membership is about 200. They have a Sabbath school which is numerously attended.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SENNETT was organized in 1805, as the First Congregational Church of Brutus. The pulpit was supplied till about 1820, when Jephthah Poole became their pastor and continued five or six years. After a like period he was recalled and ministered to them about four years, the pulpit being supplied during his absence. During his pastorate an interesting and powerful revival occurred, which resulted in the addition of over sixty to their membership at one time. Mr. Poole was succeeded by Henry Boyington, who served them about five years. A period elapsed during which they were without a pastor, the pulpit being filled by supplies, until Mr. Boyington was recalled. His second stay covered a period of about two years.

Their next pastor was a Mr. Griswold, who labored with them three years. He was succeeded by Charles Anderson, whose pastorate covered a period of twenty-five years. He went to Springport. Samuel S. Goss supplied them one year, when Thomas Campbell was called and served them three years, one year before being installed as pastor. They were next supplied a part of a year by Professors from Auburn Theological Seminary. J. G. Smith ministered to them two and a half years, but was not installed. Charles Anderson, their former pastor, was then recalled, and continued his labors with them till the spring of 1877, since which time they have been supplied by -----Burnley, a student in Auburn Theological Seminary.

Their first house of worship was built about 1820; the present one in 1848, at a cost of $4,000, and was dedicated in January, 1849. The present membership is about 100. The Sabbath school, in which their hopes are centered, has an average attendance of seventy-five.


CHAPTER XLI.

TOWN OF AURELIUS.

Aurelius lies near the center of the west border of the County, at the foot of Cayuga Lake, which, with Seneca River, forms its western boundary. The northern boundary is formed by Montezuma and Throop, the eastern, by Auburn and Fleming, and the southern, by Fleming and Springport. It was formed January 27th, 1789, and originally embraced all that part of the County lying north of the prolongation of the south line of Fleming. Brutus, Cato, Jefferson, (now Mentz,) and Owasco were set off March 30th, 1802; Auburn and Fleming, March 28th, 1823; a part of Springport, January 30th,



Return to the Index of The History of Cayuga County 1789-1879 by Elliott Storke
Return to the Cayuga County NYGenWeb Project Home Page