The History of Cayuga County 1789-1879 page 368
UNION SPRINGS/ TOWN OF SPRINGPORT.
dividends paid to stockholders have averaged eight per cent.
The following is a copy of the June, 1878, statement of the bank:
.
| RESOURCES | |
| Loans and discounts | $113,320 91 |
| Overdrafts | 3,916 82 |
| U. S. Bonds to secure circulation | 100,000 00 |
| Other stocks, bonds and mortgages | 12,196 41 |
| Due from reserve agents | 1,617 40 |
| Due from other National Banks | 2,063 47 |
| Current expenses and taxes paid | 1,758 33 |
| Checks and other cash items | 1,601 94 |
| Bills of other banks | 5,379 00 |
| Fractional currency (including nickels and cents) |
190 69 |
| Specie | 512 00 |
| Legal tender notes | 4,500 00 |
| Redemption fund with U. S. Treasurer |
3,700 00 |
| Interest account | 195 24 |
| ____________ | |
| 250,952 21 | |
| LIABILITIES | |
| Capital stock | 100,000 00 |
| Surplus fund | 20,000 00 |
| Undivided profits | 11,195 11 |
| Circulation outstanding | 89,800 00 |
| Dividends unpaid | 676 00 |
| Individual deposits | 28,134 27 |
| Due to other National Banks | 1,146 83 |
| ____________ | |
| TOTAL | 250,952 21 |
SPRING MILLS, flouring, grist and plaster, are operated by Robert B. Howland, Dr. Benedict Robinson and R. B. Robinson, under the name of Howland, Robinson & Co. The grist-mill, which is constructed of stone, and is 65 by 84 feet, with four stories and basement, was built in 1840, by Geo. Howland of New Bedford, Mass., who, a few years previously, had purchased a large amount of property in and about the village, and who, by his enterprise and liberality, contributed largely to its prosperity. A plaster-mill was built at the same time, and both were operated under his direction, by his sons Charles and Augustus. After the death of George Howland, in 1852, the property was rented to J. & N. C. Simons, who run the mills five years. Simons & Robinson afterwards run them two years, when they came into the possession of the present proprietors. The original plaster-mill is now used as a store-house, a saw-mill built contiguous to it in 1842, having been converted into the present plaster-mill. The grist-mill contains five run of stones, one of them a feed run. The works are located at the north or larger springs, which furnishes the motive power, with the exception of about four months in the year, when the water supply is scarce, and power is furnished by a fifty horse-power engine.
UNION SPRINGS MILLS, flouring, grist and saw, are owned and operated by Anthony & Co., (Gaylord Anthony and J. W. Perrine,) the former of whom bought them of E. C. Bowen and Manson Backus October 1st, 1877, and admitted the latter March 1st, 1878. The grist-mill was built in 1836, by Philip Winegar, for a woolen factory, and was used as such till 1854, when it was changed into a grist-mill by the Beardsley Bros. It is a stone structure, with three stories and basement, and contains three run of stones, two for flour and one for feed. The motive power is furnished by water and steam, which are used in connection, the former being supplied by the south spring, near which the mill is located, and the latter, by a thirty horse-power engine. In May, 1878, machinery was introduced for the manufacture of flour by the new process.
UNION SPRINGS AGRICULTURAL WORKS are owned by J. O. Spencer, who is engaged in the manufacture of the "Wide-awake" thrashers, separators and steam engines, horse-powers and agricultural implements, in which forty men are employed. The building was erected some twenty years ago by Wm., Henry and Lewis McFarland, who carried on the business some five years, when Lewis' interest was bought by his brothers, who continued the business till the death of Henry, in August, 1869, after which it was carried on by Wm. till his death in May, 1874, when it was conducted by the administrator of the estate till the spring of 1875, at which time J. O. Spencer bought the property. In 1878 he built ten thrashing machines and twenty-five engines, the manufacture of engines having been commenced in 1878.
N. Y. CENTRAL PLANING MILL AND HUB WORKS are operated by Courtney Bros., (John F. and Charles E.,) who are also carpenters and builders and dealers in sash, doors, blinds and moldings. They commenced business March 1st, 1874, as builders, and added the other branches of their business March 1st, 1876. They occupy a wooden building erected by them in 1874, and are enlarging their facilities by the erection of a
|
|||
Return to the Index of The History of Cayuga County
1789-1879 by Elliott Storke
Return to the Cayuga County NYGenWeb Project Home
Page